MCWD awarded 'Watershed District of the Year'
The Minnehaha Creek Watershed District (MCWD) has been named the 2013 “Watershed District of the Year” by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR). Jason Moeckel, DNR Inventory, Monitoring and Analysis Section Manager, presented the award to the MCWD at the Minnesota Association of Watershed Districts’ Annual Meeting in Alexandria, Minnesota on Friday, December 6, 2013.
Each year the DNR honors a watershed district in the state for its accomplishments toward water management. The MCWD was selected for the 2013 award for its long-standing and robust partnership with the DNR, its collaboration with private and public sector organizations and its timely and effective programs.
“MCWD actively solicits input and feedback from their many and varied stakeholders and regularly consults with the DNR Area Hydrologist on their projects and programs,” said Moeckel. “The District successfully coordinates and integrates its various programs to systematically improve the watershed and its water resources.”Among examples cited for 2013:
- Restored a 3,000 foot ditched section of Minnehaha Creek to its original meander along Reach 20 in St. Louis Park;
- Worked with homeowners along Minnehaha Creek who volunteered to let the District remove invasive plants from 2,000 feet of their creek banks and replant with native species;
- Began restoration on two former farm properties totaling over 200 acres of rolling topography with steep slopes draining into Six Mile Marsh to help improve the water quality of Halsted's Bay;
- Developed a comprehensive, long-term AIS Management Plan;
- Conducted its third year of a Zebra mussel monitoring program;
- Held the 7th annual Minnehaha Creek cleanup which drew 1,200 citizens who collected over two tons of trash.
“The MCWD is very honored to be the 2013 recipient of the MN DNR's Watershed District of the Year award,” said Jim Calkins, MCWD Board President. “We look forward to continued partnerships in our work to improve, protect, and preserve our